Friday, March 9, 2012

Twittering at Honey Horn

I'm not much of a birder. But that's not to say I don't love birds. I just have one of those minds that can't aurally distinguish a vireo from a flycatcher. Sure, I can distinguish the mournful call of a loon and the grating rasp of a bluejay. Yet the finer points of successful birding depend upon a sharp ear and a gifted mind. Oh, oh -- gradually you are finding out the truth about me...

Yesterday afternoon, my wife cajoled me into attending the monthly meeting of the Hilton Head Island Birding Society. If that's not what it is officially called, please forgive me. It was held at the Coastal Discovery Museum, AKA as the Honey Horn. The Honey Horn is a wonderful museum on oyster alley -- just before one leaves Hilton Head Island for the mainland. It's a nice place and offers significant insight into the history of the island. I love the grounds and the architecture of the museum itself. And the exhibits are absorbing. Currently, one can immerse herself in the Gullah culture.

One of the things that I've grown to appreciate about Hilton Head Island is its vibrance. There are lots of retirees here, but that doesn't mean they resign themselves to big-wheel walker strolls on the beach. Hilton Head Island is alive with energetic people who refuse to grow old and exercise enough to embarrass me.

Upon arriving at the Coastal Discovery Museum or the Honey Horn, at it is known locally, for a talk by the Savannah, GA maven of birding, Diana Churchill, [http://www.dianachurchillbirds.com/Diana_Churchill_About.html]. we had to walk a good five hundred yards to the lecture venue because of this Saturday's wine-tasting festival. I immediately decided I was a day early and $80 short of a good time at a sold-out venue.

At any rate, we arrived early enough to catch a seat. Not long afterwards, Ms. Churchill began passing out toy birds with squeezable personal bird calls. My wife and I received a painted bunting, which, of course, I did not know very much about since I'm from northern NY. The woman on my right quickly pointed out my fallibility, and patronizingly filled in my Southern gaps.

Finally, the show began. Scheduled to begin at 3 p.m., after announcements and introductions, we got rolling at 3:35. I was already about to head out for an early cocktail hour (another insidious draw to Hilton Head's cultural norms).

Diana Churchill, once she got started, was a thrill. Down to earth and with an admirable sense of humor, she did her schtick. She was delightful. Ms. Churchill possesses the gift of birding, the acuity to aurally identify impossible warbler distinctions, etc. Eventually, we arrived at the question and answer period. The first question dealt with identifying miniature ibises. I finally settled the question by noting that they were probably pygmy ibises. Hiss, hiss from my right...

Mature bird watchers on Hilton Head Island are like Seinfeld's "Soup Nazi." The room was filled with them. And on my right, there she was, the female reincarnation of Joseph Goebbels. Speaker Diana Churchill covered every question with uninhibited honesty. When one woman asked how to tell the difference between a male and female Great Blue Heron, Diana pondered the question momentarily and then noted that it would probably be the male who was on top. This in liberal South Carolina. I applauded.

I had a fun time; my wife enjoyed it too. Yet I have to admit -- I didn't learn too much new. I have what is called a tin ear.

Regardless, I will not give up. If one perseveres, eventually the synapses connect. I have faith.

Stay calm and carry on...

Paul in Hilton Head, SC
http://www2.potsdam.edu/loucksap
http://loucksap.smugmug.com
http://madstop68.blogspot.com

No comments: