Friday, January 6, 2012

Genealogy

Dear reader,

I an an inveterate tracker of ancestors. I have made many advances.

I am related through the Bradt family to Cornplanter, the great Seneca chief during the War of the Revolution. There are connections to the blood lines of the Sculyler family in Beverwyck or Albany. I have a Dutch ancestor who arrived in New Amsterdam on the ship Endracht in New Netherlands in 1624, and in my Schermerhorn line, I am connected to the Astor family. Phillip Schuyler is an uncle, and Philip Gansevoort is a cousin by marriage. I am a Palatine who arrived in 1710 from the Rhineland Pfaltz, with Mebies and Dygerts in the mix. In short, I am (and my descendents) are the forefathers of Revolutionary America in the Mohawk Valley. We were patriots to the core, a fact that I am quite proud of.

As an undergraduate, I was attracted to English Literature. I should have majored in history. It is just so much more fun!

The goal in front of me is to record all of this in a narrative that my kids will understand and respect. Now that's a challenge...

But for the time being I continue to pursue my roots. It is just SO addictive.

I don't expect any of you to indulge in my habit. Then again, I AM German/Dutch on my paternal side. As for my maternal lines, I discovered via DNA testing that Finland settles in nicely. Philip Hilduinen sounds a bit strange even to me, but his exploitations make me proud. I seem to have evolved from explorers and adventurers. I think that's a good thing.

So that's my blog for the day.

Carry on,

Paul in Potsdam
<http://www2potdam.edu/loucksap:>
<http://smugmug.com/>
<http://madstop68.blogspot.com/ >

No comments: