Sunday, January 15, 2012

Race to the Oscars

Tonight begins the grand race to the 2012 Oscars and we are treated to Ricky Gervais as host. Last year, Mr. Gervais walked the thin edge, and for a few of his colleagues in the entertainment world it was a bit too much. Lots of skewering and few were spared -- especially the most prickable ones. I think Gervais may have paid a bit of a price for this, but here we are again with him. Frankly, I hope he remains true to his character, and lets the dialogue flow unfettered.

I have mixed feelings about these award shows. Part of me wants to race right out and see every nominee, and part of me says, who are you kidding? But, Hollywood and the entertainment industry need all the build-up they can muster -- especially this year. I guess I will go until 9 p.m. when the next episode of Season 2 of Downton Abbey appears on PBS's Masterpiece Classic. Even Ricky Gervais cannot overcome the draw of Downton Abbey.

So far this season, I have managed to see the following films beforehand: The Tree of LifeMidnight in Paris, The Adventures of Tintin, The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo, War Horse and Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy. I can only say that none of them can be compared easily with another. Interestingly, two of them are uniquely different Steven Spielberg movies.

Let me comment on all...

The Tree of Life. Malek's exploration of the meaning of life is pretentious and overblown. Brad Pitt is good but not great, and the photography was sensational. Enough said...


Midnight in Paris, the Woody Allen comedy is a complete triumph. Not only is this vintage Woody but Paris has never been lovelier. It looks like a winner to me.

The Adventures of Tintin is a remarkable 3D movie. We were fortunate to see it in Toronto at an Imax. The reviews are mixed, but for me it was a delight. The special effects were amazing -- the whole thing in my opinion is an animated Indiana Jones on steroids. And it is funny and fun. Spielberg's first attempt in the genre of animated films is entirely successful. Click, click, bam, bam. It will keep you going for at least an hour or so.

The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo (American version) is edgy and brisk. Rooney Mara will blow you away. This one's a must see among my recommendations.


War Horse is also fresh in my memory. I was a little concerned that I'd be jumping back to Anna Sewall's Black Beauty, but this is a war movie like only Spielberg can create them, and it's based on a WWI book. And it is heroic, through and through. My wife told me to bring tissues, but I didn't need them -- well, maybe to wipe away a tear or two at the ending, but that doesn't give away a thing.

Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy. Well at least one person in my family liked it, but it wasn't me. My wife told me it was too bad that I kept slipping away. I thought it was too bad that I didn't slip away all together.

Now the three films that I'd like to be able to comment upon on are Hugo, The Artist and Moneyball. We probably won't see them, this being Potsdam, until we head south in February.

So tear yourself away from the football game for awhile and tune in nasty Ricky, at least until 9 p.m.

One last thing, I don't care what YOU think about the movies. I could not live without them. They are the last true magic in my life. I am transported. Ah, if only real life, even once in a great while, could emulate the movies. And this year there are some truly memorable moments in movie history.

Carry on,

Paul in Potsdam
<http://www2.potsdam.edu.loucksap>
<http://loucksap.smugmug.com>
<http://madstop68.blogspot.com>

No comments: