Monday, February 6, 2012

Clint Eastwood selling Chryslers

Okay, I'll admit it. I bought take-out wings and rushed home just in time to catch the kick-off of last evening's Superbowl. The wings were great; my porter was just right; the game was over-hyped as usual; I liked Madonna's last song; and I groaned at the outcome of the game. Today I learned that 11.5 million Americans watched football last evening -- I think a new record. The game hinged on three or four spectacular or spectacularly stupid plays. It makes me wonder if Bill Belichick is an "audacious" coach or just a high-roller -- who wins some and, more often than not, loses in the clinch. Methinks the team that wanted to win the most, won. If I were Mr. Kraft, I'd be taking a long look at Belichick's contract...

I also thought that the commercials were not up to snuff. Mindy and I typically exchange glances. There were only about three or four of them that deserved A's. And one of them was evidently controversial: Chrysler Corporation's thematic gamble about Detroit's comeback was the most notable, and probably as controversial. I can't decide today to give it an A or an F. Take a look and let me know what you think: <http://www.youtube.com/chrysler?sid=1037056&KWNM=clint+eastwood+commercial&KWID=3179862966SB_2012&channel=paidsearch>.

Last year Eminem touted a similar theme. Then Chrysler was still hurting. And since last January, usually on nationally televised sporting events, other and similar ads have been aired. This year Rowdy Yates and Dirty Harry, spoke in one unified voice. Clint Eastwood sure has one gravelly voice...

Frankly, the commercial hit me from both sides. I tend not to like emotionally-laden commercials, especially patriotic ones with nationalistic overtones, perhaps for the same reason that I don't like to hear Beethoven's Ninth Symphony in Twinkie ads. They get me all pumped up about the wrong things, and I lose track of the message. Yet Chrysler's "It's Halftime in America" was a real attention-grabber, mostly because it was not cute or sexy. On the other hand, maybe, just maybe, the big bail-out worked.

And it talked about where America finds itself in 2012. And, most adroitly, it talked (without ever mentioning it, per se),  wether the big bail-out saved a particular company. Barack Obama had to be smiling. John Boehner and Mitch McConnell had to be harrumphing.

The point is, it was effective. Does Roger Goodell have cojones or what? Well, maybe that's overstepping reality a bit.

I think the commercial went right to the edge. But what was interesting was its timing. It was aired just before the kick-off for the second half. There may be a message there...

I've come to the conclusion that $600 per seat tickets for the Superbowl are peanuts. Where's the real money? Does it resonate in Super-Pacs, or does it achieve its ends in Superbowl ads? Hard to tell.

At any rate, hope you enjoyed the game, and that you're team won. Mine didn't, but frankly I don't actually care all that much -- with one exception -- my grandson lives about 30 minutes from Gillette Stadium. I hope HE wasn't terribly upset. I know it was close to the end of the world for his wonderful father. Bill, the NFL, when all is said and done, is simply entertainment. And what did all of you out there think about those Superbowl rings? Would you actually wear one of them? I'm not sure I could.

Stay calm and carry on,

Paul in Potsdam
http://www2.potsdam.edu/loucksap/
http://loucksap.smugmug.com
http://madstop68.blogspot.com




1 comment:

Paul in Potsdam said...

Excuse me, but I think it was 115 million. Ridiculous...